Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shore No More

Most of the class in LA101H will remember the U.S. Government video we sat through on Tuesday. I didn’t have high expectations for the clip, but I was a little surprised by the quality of the video…engaging, humorous, creative…all important components of a successful rhetorical device. The audience was amused, and although I’m sure most of us know who the president of the United States is, perhaps it was educational as well. I mean, did everyone know that the Chief Justice was John Roberts?

            So we’re giggling at the silly college students who are laughing at themselves too, and then suddenly something happens that I really didn’t anticipate.

“Jersey Shore…”

I sincerely wish these students hadn’t even gone there. By utilizing one of the most pervasive influences in America right now, this project only recognizes the Shore’s power over us. By acknowledging the fact that every Penn State student can unite under this banner of mental retardation, they’ve cheapened what I think could have been a great quality video. I think the rhetoric in the presentation was strong enough when supported by only the examples of what the students did or did not know about the U.S. government.

We can’t escape from the Jersey Shore! Somehow, this useless, pathetic, degrading piece of filth has ensnared everyone’s attention to the point where we use them as examples in our class projects. Shoot me now!

Anyway, my point is: rhetoricians sometimes stoop low enough and reference whatever trend is popular at the time to gain ethos with the audience. I don’t condemn this tactic in every situation, but personally I feel as though this group of students could have gone without mentioning Jersey Shore.

And to divert your attention from the fact that in this post, I have committed the same atrocities I am judging, newsflash: I just took a shower and I have water stuck in my eyes. See, now you’re thinking about having water stuck in your eyes. Persuasive, am I not?

5 comments:

  1. Perhaps I was less bothered by the Jersey Shore inclusion because I have never watched the show, and therefore, don't have the I-must-now-gouge-my-eyes-out-and-pull-my-hair-because-of-how-low-our-society-is-sinking reaction.

    Point noted, though.

    Another thought: the video wasn't made for a rhetoric class, but rather a group communication class and the prompt was different, so this also affects the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally liked the fact that they add the Jersey shore comment in there. I mean personally I'm right there with you on the whole I hate jersey shore killing brain cells issue but I feel like it really made us think. It sorta hit me that we really are turning into a pathetic group of uneducated and caring people in the country (at least or age bracket anyways). It made me want to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What else would they reference? I see what you're saying, but I think there are always just going to be some pop-culture that is popular with everyone (even if it's dumb).

    And just a side comment, you might want to reconsider how you use the word "retard."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a serious hatred for the Jersey Shore program don't you! I do not like it myself. I do not even have a TV and I never watch it. But I do like picking on it just to make the point that it is stupid and deteriorates the minds of our young society. I thought the addition of the topic made the video in class all that much more humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, very strong feelings towards Jersey Shore. I definitely agree that the tactic of bringing in the new trend to prove a point is effective. However, I disagree that using Jersey Shore was a bad idea... a lot of college students are engaged by this show and will therefore prove the point of where the focus is for college students... It is unfortunate though that Jersey Shore has taken over our society... :/

    ReplyDelete